After two kids and a long break I'm finally working on the new geocoder.
All the previous realeases have been rendered moot due to change in the way the census releases the data.
Frankly, this is one of the reasons I took such a long break from it since they announced several years ago this was going to happen.
As we speak I've completed about 75% of the work required to load the new data.
The good news: this one should be totally cross platform. The database creation is being done by a python and I'm testing it on both linux and windows.
Actual geocoding will be done by separate APIs for each language. Right now I've got C#, Java, and Python slated but it should be easy enough to reate more.
The bad news: I'd say any sort of stable release is a few weeks away. I really only get to work on it after the kids go to sleep.
The licensing will hopefully be way clearer this time. I'm kicking around GPLv3 with some sort of dual license for those who need more flexibility.
Stay tuned for more info!