The beta for the TIGER installer is ready.
Eventually this will give options for different database systems, but right now its just for SQL Server.
It also includes some enhancements like the FIPS55 data.
The schema in this version is smaller tha the others, it excludes many of the extraneous fields.
It will also only load roads which cuts down on the size.
Here's what it does:
1. Downloads the 5 gigs of TIGER files to a directory.
2. Extracts the zip files.
3. Installs the tables and functions
4. Loads the Type 1 data. (Type 2 won't be loaded yet.)
5. Adds the proper indexes for fast forward and reverse geocoding
6. Downloads/Extracts/Loads/Indexes the FIPS55 data
The FIPS55 table can be queried by STATE_ALPHA and PLACE_NAME to get the zip code of cities.
Pass this zip into the geocoding functions. ZIP_RANGE can indicate more than 1 zip code for an area.
At the moment I recommend always passing in a zip to the geocoding functions. The indexes aren't set up to handle state/county wide searches, but you are more than welcome to add them.
THIS DATA WILL NOT FIT IN MSDE, check back for other database servers in the near future.
For more info: sql geocoder